…Tightens border screening, surveillance as DRC, Uganda battle outbreaks
The Federal Government has said there is no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria, even as it intensified nationwide surveillance and emergency preparedness measures.
The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, disclosed this on Wednesday in Abuja amid fresh outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.
He said the government had activated preventive measures through the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention and other relevant agencies.
“While Nigeria currently has no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease, the Federal Government is taking proactive measures to strengthen preparedness, surveillance, and coordination mechanisms,” Pate said.
He added that authorities were working closely with the World Health Organisation and regional health bodies to monitor developments.
According to him, measures in place include enhanced nationwide surveillance, strengthened screening at points of entry, and improved coordination with state health ministries.
Other interventions include upgraded laboratory capacity, reinforced infection prevention protocols in health facilities, and intensified public awareness campaigns.
The minister urged Nigerians to remain calm and avoid spreading misinformation.
He advised citizens to maintain hand hygiene and avoid contact with bodily fluids of persons showing symptoms.
Pate also urged the public to report any unusual illness to the nearest health facility.
Healthcare workers, he added, had been placed on alert and directed to strictly observe infection control protocols and promptly report suspected cases.
“The Ministry will continue to provide timely updates as necessary,” he said.